Re: [OM] Winder wont give back my MD Cover!

Subject: Re: [OM] Winder wont give back my MD Cover!
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 23:25:46 EDT
Dear Curt Hedman,

<< Anyway, thanx for the information, Dave. Maybe I'll just leave it there
and
 buy another one from Camtech.... but to avoid loosing it, is it possible to
 "hog out" the slot in my newer winder to accept an OM4T cap? The trick I
 would think would not to make it too loose, given the foam is shot, so that
 the cap could fall out any time I eject the battery pack.....
 Curt Hedman >>

I was going to ask the list the same thing, until I decided to get an OM-1N
and an OM-2N a few weeks ago to go with my OM-2Ti and OM-2SP. I then decided
I might need the Winder 2 slot for the OM-1/2(N) MD cap anyway, and if I
hollowed it out, it would be too loose for them!

I bought my OM-4Ti and Winder 2 in 1992. I lost the OM-4Ti MD cap in ... 1992
I think! And my OM-4Ti has been without it ever since, until I got spares
from Olympus recently. So I decided that maybe I wouldn't bother to hack up
my Winder 2, although in 1992 I certainly felt like it. I was just 'thinking'
of how to skilfully widen out the slot in the Winder when I lost the MD cap
anyway, and thereby solved my problem instantly!

My suggestions for why they didn't make a wider slot to fit the new caps
would be 1) forgot, or 2) couldn't be bothered.

The old and new MD caps are nearly the same _diameter_ (15mm). But the later
OM-3/4/2SP caps are threaded and this gives them more thickness at the edge
than the earlier OM1/2 caps, which are very thin at the edge. Around the far
side of the Winder 2 slot, the slot gets very narrow to accept the edge of
the old caps, but the new caps won't go right in. Maybe a little widening of
the slot on both sides might allow you to get the new caps in far enough
while still giving earlier caps a chance of staying in. [That is called
"therapeutic range" with respect to medicines in pharmacology isn't it?] On
the other hand, maybe they well then all fall out! If you have 2 Winders,
maybe it is worth a go with one of them. But then don't take along the wrong
one when you go out on a shoot!  ;O)

Now (in 2001) I have 2 spare OM-1/2(N) MD caps, 2 UK penny pieces, 2 sealed
sets of SR-44s/357s and a sharpened matchstick in a white film canister,
labelled "SPARE SR44 BATTERIES"! I have thus neglected the Winder 2 slot
issue as a potential pain in the ass.

What happens if I lose the canister, I don't know!

Happy hacking.

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/