Re: [OM] The LUG is beating up Gary's testing

Subject: Re: [OM] The LUG is beating up Gary's testing
From: Larry <Halpert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 23:35:26 -0400
Yeah, This guy is pretty arrogant.. :)

Larry

Subject: Re: [Leica] OM vs. Leica Lens tests, was How good/bad/terrible is the
R4?
From: "Dan States" <dstate1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 00:07:34 +0000

So, do we really believe that the old Olympus 90 is as good or better than
the new APO-Summicron?  For that matter, according to this site, the old
Summicron 90 R is nearly as good as the new APO. I own the R and while it is
fine for it's day, it sure as hell is not going to match the new APO.

According to the rating scale, a c rating indicates the performance is
unacceptable above 5x7 enlargment.  Quite a suprise to many APO and non APO
users Im sure, as they will now realize that their lenses should not be used
at f2 for anything larger than a 5x.  Jeepers, time to toss my slides.

Some of the Leica lenses are VERY old, and are being tested on Olympus
bodies.

While I agree from experience that some of the Olympus stuff was/is quite
good, it is a little far fetched to say they were/are at the top of the
game.

Sorry, but this is a test site that doesn't pass the test of good science.
Ahh, the internet, where myth and science are one...

Best wishes
Dan States