Re: [OM] What Sells & Personal "Vision" (Was OMs and glue)

Subject: Re: [OM] What Sells & Personal "Vision" (Was OMs and glue)
From: Matt Crawley <matt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 00:56:07 -0600
Hi Rich.

I have a few rambling thoughts on this.

I've always been an artist. Drawing, painting, whatever... and I decided to
"Do what I love"(to an extent) by going to artschool and getting a graphic
design degree. While at school I apprenticed with a painter for 5 years. I
learned a LOT and became a much better painter but it BROKE MY HEART when
one of my pieces was sold. I could not distance myself from the work because
of the physical closeness and creativity the work required.

As a graphic designer it is MUCH easier to part with my work because most
times there are important guidelines to what I am doing. eg: selling a
product, telling a story, etc. Guidelines like these require you to arrive
at a "vision" early on and carry that through to the final product. At the
start of a project I explore a number of styles and looks but sooner or
later they must be narrowed down and then "produced".

The "Production" is the part of the project that I can take pride in no
matter how badly the client has butchered my original ideas. This is the
part where I am more "craftsman" than artist. A craftsman takes pride in the
details and doing the job right.

It's been my experience that very few photographers can put food on the
table by just doing "art" photos but I've met a few who make good money
doing product photos in the studio. These photographers are sought out
because they are craftsmen and the clients know that they will get a high
level of craftmanship and technical skill for their $$, nomatter what the
subject is. They also have a good deal of time to shoot their own stuff too.

My point(I think) is that work is ALWAYS work, and at some point you get
sick of it nomatter what you're doing. If you can't stand the idea of
photography becoming "work" then there is NO WAY should attempt to make it
that.

I still paint but I will NEVER sell paintings again. They are given as
gifts, just like my photos. :-)

 - Matt Crawley