RE: [OM] Technical-ish question: aperture ring on Zuikos / stopping down

Subject: RE: [OM] Technical-ish question: aperture ring on Zuikos / stopping down.
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 19:45:31 +1000
Dave wrote:

> Why is this so? It makes me wonder if these lenses are _really_
> as fast as
> f/2.

This behaviour has been reported on this list before (probably before you
joined Dave).

I have noticed the same sort of behaviour while testing long exposures on my
OM-2N and 50mm f1.4.  Basically the camera was set up on a tripod facing a
poorly lit wall, I changed the aperature and timed the TTL auto exposures
using a stop watch.  What I found was that for each stop change in aperture
I got a doubling of exposure time (as would be expected) for all apertures
EXCEPT when going from f1.4 to f2 where the time factor was about 1.5,
indicating that the marked f1.4 is optimistic.

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~w_harridge/