Re: [OM] Camera Production Date

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera Production Date
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:35:13 -0400
Cc: jnmcbr@xxxxxxx
This procedure works for OM 1/2's. Pull off the pressure plate and look at the date code underneath.

From the FAQ at
http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq.html

B21) How can I tell when my OM-{1(N), 2(N), 10} was assembled?

        The serial number on an Olympus camera does *not* give you a
        precise date of manufacture.  The only way to tell is to remove
        the pressure plate and look for a code either on the back of the
        pressure plate or on the back itself behind the pressure plate.
        The code consists of 4 characters:

                1 Japanese character signifying the assembly plant.
                1 number representing the last digit of the year of
                        assembly (e.g. 7 = 1977, 0 = 1980).
                1 number or letter representing the month of assembly,
                        1-9 for Jan-Sep, X, Y, Z for Oct-Dec.
                1 number representing the pressure plate used.  Olympus
                        apparently used pressure plates with slightly
                        different curvatures to fine-tune focus.

        Some examples:

                OM-1N - S055 factory "S", 1980, May, plate #5
                OM-1  - S766 factory "S", 1977, June, plate #6
                OM-1N - S0Y5 factory "S", 1980, November, plate #5

        Thanks to John Hermanson <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>

Skip

****** I M P O R T A N T   R E P L Y   I N F O ************
Please adddress ALL offlist messages to skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx
This hotmail.com email address is ONLY used for this mailing list subscription and I will probably not notice any private messages addressed here.