Re: [OM] new user

Subject: Re: [OM] new user
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 06:39:54 -0700 (PDT)
>       I got about 300 of the wedding day pictures back today,

Gulp!  I remember those days...  I shoot far fewer these days!
Talk about breaking the bank.  But seriously, when starting out
with shooting weddings, you will probably double your picture
count because of the learning process.  I know I did.  Better
too many, than not enough.

> were cut off at the knees.

My biggest mistakes were framing the pictures too tightly which
meant you couldn't get a 4x5, 5x7 or 8x10 print because the
frame was filled edge-to-edge.  I'm still tempted to etch my
focus screens to mark the 8x10 crop.  Kinda like the "safe zone"
in video.

> the portra 400 vc shot with available light. I shot a roll of
> Royal Gold
> 400, and the difference is quite noticeable, especially in
> skin tones.
> The outside pics with 160 nc were quite satisfactory.

Mixing and matching films.  Uh oh.  Personal preference is
strictly using Portra 400nc or 160nc.  I lean heavily toward the
400.  Haven't cared for the VC.  Currently using it for some
portrait work, but will go back to NC on the next job.  Told my
wife to never let me buy the VC again. Ceremony and reception
shots are strictly 400 speed, and 160 only gets used for
formals.  I tend to shoot both right near or at the rated speed.
The OM's OTF flash control tends to slightly overexpose the
flash anyway so it essentially drops the film speed down a bit.

Now, you will need to follow this up with a couple senior
portrait sessions and another wedding to get into the hang of
things.

Ken N.