[OM] Re: film, flash

Subject: [OM] Re: film, flash
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:46:22 -0500
The difference between Portra VC and NC is in most situations, relatively
subtle. The paper your lab prints on may very well account for your
preference of one over the other. Another reason to find a good lab and
stick with it.

For the new member that is interested in an off camera flash, this will be
considered heresy to many of you, but the OM flashes are really not that
good a value, except for the T8, underpowered but wonderful. I'm of the
"there's no substitute for horsepower" school. There are a lot of good
flashes, from the venerable Vivitar 283 (don't get the metal foot), to
dedicated models from Sunpack and Metz. Although I've never used one, the
quantum seems interesting. When I use flash, which is mostly with MF, I use
a Sunpack TTL 120, for which I have the dedicated module. For me, it offers
the best combination of price and watt-seconds. the option of bare bulb is
also good, although for portraits or weddings, a diffuser over the reflector
would be nice.

I understand the sunpack dedicated module is no longer available, but the
Metz is. Their strobes are able to withstand lots of hard use.

The most important thing is to get that flash off the camera. It can be used
there for a fill, but that requires careful calculation and attention, and
most of all, experience.

I'm hiding out...
Bill Pearce