Re: [OM] Need flash advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Need flash advice
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 19:20:10 -0400
Tina said:
<snip> I own an OM2-SP...I am looking for a flash.  I currently have a
Zykkor dedicated flash, but
isn't dedicated once it's off the camera.  Now I want a dedicated
off-the-camera flash.  In reading the digest (and archived posts), I
determined that I want a T32 flash.  But right now there is a Sunpak
344D flash on e*ay.  Do any of you know if this would be dedicated
off-the-camera as well or do I have to have the T32?  Also, which sync
cord do I need if I indeed buy the T32?
------------------------------------
I don't know about the Sunpak 344D but some Sunpak OM dedicated units
can be gotten off the camera with the right adapter cord.  If you really
intend to buy a non-Oly flash then I would research this first and buy
the special cord/adapter first.  To do otherwise risks having a flash
that you can theoretically get off the camera but can't actually since
you can't find the part.  These are much rarer than the flash units.

I have several OM dedicated flashes which are very nice but I wasn't
really happy until I got my T-32 and BG-2.  I have several OM bodies but
usually use one of my two OM-2sp's when doing flash because it has the
TTL socket.  I place the T-32 on the BG-2 with the cord plugged into the
socket on the front of the body.  I then place a Vivitar 555FD into the
hot shoe.  This gives me two flashes with very good bounce capability
between them.  The Vivitar 555FD does not swivel like my Sunpak 422 does
but I find that I prefer to use the 555FD since it's small and light
and, even though it only has tilt, it's a fine complement to the T-32 to
help fill in some more shadow area.

Perhaps Brian Huber will respond to your question.  I think Brian is the
undisputed expert on the capabilities of third party OM compabible TTL
flashes.