RE: [OM] (Fwd) Need flash advice

Subject: RE: [OM] (Fwd) Need flash advice
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 21:14:55 -0400
Tina,
There a number of flash units that will work off-camera with your camera:

>From Vivitar-
The 3700 and 4600 with adapter.
The 5200 and 5600 with adapter.
There is also an extension cord set (Vivitar manufacture that will allow you
to extend the flash off camera).

>From Sunpak:
The 322D, 422D and 444D all use the same adapter and there is also an
off-camera extension available from Sunpak.
Sunpak also makes a handle mount flash (544D0 that has off-camera
capabilities.  Actually, all Sunpak units that have a "D" in product name
have OM (or other camera) TTL flash capabilities.  You just need the correct
adapter (OT-1D).

>From Metz:
32CT3, 4 and 45CL 3 and 4 work with the SCA 300 adapter series as well as
flashes from Afga, Osram and others that support the SCA 300 system.
Extensions for off camera use are available.  The SCA system works on
various flash units and, like Sunpak and Vivitar, works TTL with cameras
other than Olympus.

Metz also makes the SCA 3000, 3001 and 3002 flash adapters and flash units.
These adapters do not support the OM system.  Only the 300... But, you can
use the 300 adapters on the newer series of Metz flashes.

My opinion is that the Olympus T32 is a great flash and has a very accurate
guide #.  The flash will also cover a 24mm lens without additional adapters.
The T32 has good bounce capabilities, but no swivel.

The Vivitar flash units (1980's vintage) are mostly quite good.  Most have
bounce AND swivel.  Additional adapters allow the flashes to work on
different cameras and also have slave capabilities not found in the T32.

Sunpak units have probably even better capabilities than the Vivitar (I used
to work for Vivitar, so you might imagine how it pains me to state this!).
Also, most of the Sunpak units are still current production.

Metz flashes are probably the best overall.  I have switched most of my
flash use to Metz because of the capabilities, high power and
compatibilities.  If you are looking for long term flash units, I'd put my
money on the Metz units.

In a long fit of trial and error as well as experimentation, I acquired a
good number of flashes from Vivitar, Sunpak, Metz, Osram, Agfa and others.
If you, or any other list member are looking for a flash other than a T32,
send me a message off list and we can talk about what I have.  I would also
be happy to make recommendations and comments regarding other flash units
that are on the market.

Brian P. Huber

> From: "Tina Turgeon" <tturgeon@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>