[OM] 4T Mirror Problem

Subject: [OM] 4T Mirror Problem
From: "mike m." <mnmitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 21:33:53 -0700
Looks like Garth and myself had a bad case of butter fingers. I was at
the BB King concert last night and my fully loaded LowePro Trim Trekker
took a 4 foot drop onto the parking lot pavement. It landed right on the
top where I had one of my 4T's lying. It busted the winder 2 into two
pieces but the camera seemed unhurt. Once inside I removed the busted
winder and screwed the md cover back on the body and loaded up a roll of
film. That's when the problem appeared. I was shooting Portra 400 set at
320 and at f2.8  I was only getting about 1/60 sec shutter speed. Full
sun, 3:00 in the afternoon, wrong!!! Pulled out the other body and
checked it, 250 at f5.6. Come to find out, the mirror is mucked up. The
center square of the mirror assembly has separated from the larger frame
part of the mirror. When put on B and shutter depressed with no lens on
, the outside frame goes all the way up and stays but the center piece
hangs down in front of the film plane at an angle. Anybody know if this
is something I might try to repair or is it a job for a qualified repair
man? The winder 2 busted every screw out that holds the bottom half of
the winder except for the the screw that goes into the strap lug. Also
broke a wire in to,but I've repaired it and the duct tape is holding it
together rather well.
I did get in about 160 frames with the other 4T. Just a lesson for those
comtemplating a trip and only taking one body...don't do it. I only
traveled 25 minutes from my house and the second body I brought along
was put to use. Don't think it can't happen to you.

later,
mike m.