Re: [OM] My Fang

Subject: Re: [OM] My Fang
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 05:41:15 EDT
That's more whitetail than "normal".  They'll get real smart about 10 minutes
before hunting season opens.  Amazing how they all disappear then.

Alfalfa brings them out.  Right before dark, there they are.  Some farmers
hate it.  Most get a deer out of it.

There are more deer in the U.S. now than there were a hundred years ago.
Especially white tail, which adapt to farming and the intrusion of
"development" just fine and continue to spread to new territory.  Real garden
pests some places.

No, fires don't drive them out, but rather just push 'em over to the next
mountain, of which there are plenty.  BIG country, in NE corner of the state.
 Few people.  Much wildlife.  Helicopters and other fire fighting activity
probably spooks them further away than the actual fire does.

A female moose near nephew's property.  Would like to have seen that.
"She's BIG!", he says.

Lessons of this trip:

a), Have the camera "on" and at-the-ready AT ALL TIMES.  Lying on the seat on
"B"  with lens cap on doesn't cut it.  Battery drain, dust, oh, well.

b), Forget the prime vs. zoom argument.  Have a zoom (or SOMETHING) mounted,
and live with it.  Many shots lost while deciding/mounting/switching/futzing.
 35-105 would have been good for most all "action" shots.

And yes, c), Practice.  Shoot more film.  I still feel like a kid driving a
stick shift for the first time, thinking about manual, auto, f/stop for depth
of field, etc.  Need more experience, either practice or "under fire".  My
rank amateur status was painfully driven home to me this trip.

OH, OH.  Little Fang.  55mm Vivitar Sky filter with collapsible rubber hood.
Dusty but unscratched. $5.  Pawn shop in Chelan.  Sure, I'd like B & W or
Heliopan, but I'm on a Vivitar & macaroni budget at present.

Life is good.

Rich