Re: [OM] Maybe Trip to Costa Rica

Subject: Re: [OM] Maybe Trip to Costa Rica
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 21:05:07 -0700
Winsor, I can't talk to the Zuiko 500, but I have the Soligar 500 f8 mirror
lens. For hand held, fast film is a must. You need to get to 1/500 or
faster! It is tough to hold it still. With patience, you can get most of the
shakes out, but it takes very little to jar the image in a big way. The lens
is always at f8, so with 400 film in daylight you can manage 1/500 to 1/2000
depending on the brightness. You'll need it too.

The doughnuts are tough. If there is any point of light that is not focused,
it's Krispy Kreme time. You can see them in the fiewfinder, so it's no
surprise. You've got to work your composition to either eliminate them, or
make the best of them.

I haven't found the 500 to be as useful as I'd hoped. It's very light for
it's size, but still, it doesn't get out of the bag that much...  The
viewfinder is dim, too. So you really need the bright imaging to be sure
it's well focussed.

Just my impressions... Have fun on the trip.
Mickey

Thanks, Mickey. That is just the sort of experience I was looking for.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California