RE: [OM] Maybe Trip to Costa Rica

Subject: RE: [OM] Maybe Trip to Costa Rica
From: "Timpe, Jim" <Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 06:19:46 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: Winsor Crosby
>>>I may be going on a trip to Costa Rica in the spring and will
>>>hopefully see some wild life.

Lucky guy..

 >>>.It seemed to me that the Zuiko 500mm mirror lens might be a way to
capture some of the wildlife and still
>>>be easily portable.

True for the most part.

>>>Have people on the list used this lens?

I was able to 'test drive' one that Scott Gomez subsequently purchased.

 >>>Is it useful?  It seemed to me that the F8 aperture might be a problem.
Have people had success
>>>hand holding it?  Probably would need fast film, huh?

For the situation and intended use you're describing, I'd say yes, this
would be a useful lens.  I didn't buy the Zuiko 500 that I test drove for
Scott as I already own the Tokina version, and don't find the slowness of
the lens a particular problem.  I've done almost nothing but hand holds with
it, and only had a few come back looking 'shakey'.  If you're out in the
daylight of Central America, film speed shouldn't really be that large an
issue.

Use the shade, and try to keep the sun at your back as much as possible.
One observation I made on my short test drive of the Zuiko... It appeared to
me that the Zuiko had next to no visible vignetting, whereas my Tokina
suffers from a bit of it.  Didn't shoot any film with the Zuiko to either
prove or disprove what I thought I saw, but it was noticeable to my old
eyes.

Jim