RE: [OM] EBAY Issues (Please use restraint)

Subject: RE: [OM] EBAY Issues (Please use restraint)
From: William Clark <wclark@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 09:52:02 -0400
Cc: "'Olympus List'" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
If it is true that 5,000,000 are available at any one time, and if we assume
that each auction lasts on average 1 week, then there are about 130,000,000
items available over the course of a year (even more if there are list
specials, etc.  So the question is "what percent of these turn out to be
bad?"  We would then need to compare this % to the 0f bad transactions
outside of ebay (i.e. the consumer store world).  Given that ebay allows us
to get many items that are not sold elsewhere, we would need to temper our
response accordingly vis-à-vis the percents discussed above.

Has anyone completed such an analysis?  I am not trying to take ebay's side
here, I am just curious as to how often a bad transaction occurs.  I suspect
if we could look at the raw numbers, it would turn out that the number of
bad transactions is quite low relatively speaking.

-Bill