[OM] Zuiko 500mm reflex

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 500mm reflex
From: B Gray <bandvg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 21:24:53 +0100
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<... It seemed to me that the Zuiko 500mm
mirror lens might be a way to capture some of the wildlife and still
be easily portable.

Have people on the list used this lens?  Is it useful?  It seemed to
me that the F8 aperture might be a problem.  Have people had success
hand holding it?  Probably would need fast film, huh?  How easy is it
to keep the little doughnuts out of the picture?
<... Winsor
I have got the 500mm reflex and quite like it. But, if you do not have a tripod I find it necessary to rest it against something (eg fence, tree trunk, window frame) if I am to have a reasonable chance of getting a picture without obvious blurring. I also have a hiking stick which converts into a monopod which can help. I got quite a decent photograph of a small bird at 20 metres with this technique in a Pennsylvania location (Bushkill Falls), but the picture was full of little doughnuts. On another occasion, in Letchworth State Park, I used it to get a close up of a geological feature in the rockface across rushing water when nothing else I was carrying would have been any use (nearest alternative would have been my 135/2.8) and I could not go closer! The f8 seems to cause me the main problems and I would not claim to have mastered the technique of focussing the lens - it was quite a problem when (using a tripod) I took some pictures of a lunar eclipse last winter. Following advice from the list, I got a 2-13 screen for my OM2SP and believe that this is better than the original 1-13 when focussing in lowish light levels. I like the lens for special purposes but certainly do not always carry it in my bag.
Brian

Brian and Vivienne Gray
bandvg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx