Re: [OM] Maybe Trip to Costa Rica

Subject: Re: [OM] Maybe Trip to Costa Rica
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 19:29:01 -0700
> >I may be going on a trip to Costa Rica in the spring and will
> >hopefully see some wild life.  It seemed to me that the Zuiko 500mm
> >mirror lens might be a way to capture some of the wildlife and still
> >be easily portable.
> >
> >Have people on the list used this lens?  Is it useful?  It seemed to
> >me that the F8 aperture might be a problem.  Have people had success
> >hand holding it?  Probably would need fast film, huh?  How easy is it
> >to keep the little doughnuts out of the picture?
> >
> >Winsor

Winsor, I think the f8 is really going to be a problem for any picture
taking in the forest. Tripod will be required at the least and focusing
will be a bitch. I tried hand holding my 135/3.5 and 28/3.5 100ASA in
the forest at the Biotopo del Quetzal in Guatemala with marginal
results. It's really dark in there. And the animals and birds that you
see are in the trees with a bright sky behind. Tough shooting. The 500/8
is a bright sun type of lens if you hand hold. People who get the great
wildlife shots lug those big white monsters around for a reason. My
travel kit for years was an OM1, 135/3.5 and the 28/3.5 which worked
very well and even now I doubt I would care to pack the 500 despite its
good contrast compared to other mirrors and not minding the bokeh. You
just aren't going to be able to follow, focus and shoot wildlife with it
in most instances. Take a 135/2.8  and 2x-a instead or maybe a 200.
Actually my experience after many trips in Central America is that for
wildlife macro is where it's at and is easily accessible for anyone
without a ton of gear. So take a 14mm tube for that 135/2.8 and
concentrate on the stuff close at hand.

Mike

--
Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West