Re: [OM] Alternate big zooms

Subject: Re: [OM] Alternate big zooms
From: Bernd Möller <dsl33687a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 19:55:38 +0200
Hi,

> Another regular is the "Danubia" 650-1300s; BIN for $298, heavy, who the
> heck are Danubia?

Danubia? The add says "major brand in Europe". This obviously is meant to fool
the American buyers! AFAIK Danubia is a rather dubious Eastern-Euopean brand.
(Sorry, Eastern European OM-listees).

Look at this German E*bay site: An Exacta lens with the same specifications!
Exacta is made by former Eastern German Pentacon (the Praktika SRL and Exakta
lenses).

http://cgi.ebay.de/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1268870117

I have owned a Danubia 28-80 many years ago. I bought it as a student, when I
could not afford anything else. The lens died with severe mechanical problems
when I borrowed it to my sister (the Zuiko 1.8/50 and a Tokina 80-200
survived). The Danubia was the worst lens I ever owned. Low contrast, low
resolution, flat images...

I have never owned an Albinar lens, but Albinar is produced in the same area. I
have a set of Albinar auto-extension rings however; bought new in the 80's,
they now show irregular wear on the bajonet ring, probably due to the wide
mechanical tolerances.

Hope this helps a little.

Bernd Möller