[OM] Re: Side by Side 50/3.5 & 85/2

Subject: [OM] Re: Side by Side 50/3.5 & 85/2
From: DAVDOU9211@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 19:50:23 EDT
Fellow Zuiks,

This is a little project I set out to do yesterday:  I went to Balboa Park to
the Botanical Garden armed with my OM-2, 85/2 and 50/3.5.  I shot some
florals in this manner - First with the 50/3.5 and noted the aperture as I
had the OM-2 in Auto mode.  Then I mounted the 85/2, set the same aperture
and attempted to frame the second shot as close to the first as possible.  As
you know I had to move back to frame with the 85/2.

The results are by no means scientific, but I think they are interesting
anyway.  The 50/3.5 exhibited slightly better contrast and color saturation
in all of the shots (12 with each lens).  The 85/2 has the smoother bokeh as
one would expect.  I deliberately shot with some light points in the
background to see what effect would be shown in bokeh in the same scene.

The photos were made on Portra 160 NC.  I have also proven to myself that VC
is a much better emulsion for this purpose.  They were hand held and exposed
at 125 sec or faster with varying apertures.  Below is a link to one of the
sets.  The top photo was taken with the 50/3.5 and the bottom with the 85/2.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1032782&a=13558255&p=53576076

Just a fun project with some fun equipment.

Dave Dougherty