Re: [OM] Another question

Subject: Re: [OM] Another question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 10:34:20 +0000
I agree with Mickey's suspicions about WalMart's printer process. One-hour labs don't always do the best at printing photographs with unusual exposure conditions.

Also:
Take care when photographing groupings of people when using on-camera flash. You don't want too much depth in the grouping relative to your distance from the closest person. Light from a point source falls off at the square of the distance. If the closest person is 6 feet away and the farthest one is 8.5 feet away (about 1.4X the distance), the farthest one receives only half as much light (by one whole stop) than the closest one does. Move the farthest to 12 feet away, and they receive 1/4th the light (two stops less).

Solution(s)?
Flatten out the grouping and/or move back with a longer lens. This also helps with depth of field so everyone is in sharp focus. This works by reducing grouping depth relative to your working distance.

Possible problems doing this?
Moving back farther with a longer lens can leave you with too little flash power. I try to select a film speed that will let me keep a reasonable aperture for DOF while nudging the shutter speed indication in the viewfinder just below 1/60th which will force the flash to fire. In open shade (beside a building with full sky above) ISO 160 or ISO 200 can work. In deeper shade (under trees) this can require ISO 400. The T-20 can easily run out of gas with insufficient flash power outdoors at longer distances. The T-32 has about twice the steam and makes it easier for doing this sort of thing (GN of 104 versus 66 @ ISO 100 in feet). Having done this a few times, I've even contemplated getting a Metz with a higher GN (about 131 @ ISO 100 in feet).

-- John