Re: [OM] Lens Coating data

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Coating data
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 08:40:02 -0700
Tom S. writes:

<< - - Over 4:1 200/4 vs. 200/5.  Given the 'small/light' OM mantra, I
thought more people would have the 200/5.  I remember a thread where
many people chimed in with positive praise of the 200/5 (including me).
I guess all of us did <g>.

I'm of the opposite camp.  The f/4 is much more worthy of praise on a
performance scale.  The f/5 was only a few dollars cheaper than the f/4
through the life it was on the market.  Folks didn't want to shell out
almost the same amount of money for a lens approx. 2/3rds stop slower.
Presently it shows up at 1/15th or less the volumn the f/4 does on the
used market (without running the numbers).

<< - - The 35-70/4 outnumbers the 35-70/3.5-4.5 12 to 8.  Perhaps the
biggest surprise of the data.  Only two 35-80's doesn't really surprise
me, but I suspect it comments more on 'not everyone submitted their
data' than anything else.  Lots of people clearly like the 35-105
though. >>

Well, lots of people might have bought a 35-105mm, but they don't
necessary find them a favorite. It has some major limitations, as per
recent discussions.

The 35-70mm f/3.5~4.5 didn't come out until late in the prime manual
focus marketing era (the OM-PC era, where it was also sold as a combo).
The 35-70mm f/4 had been out for many years as the budget 35-70mm zoom
and was sold during the OM-10 heydays.  It was popular, although no way
as popular as the 75-150mm, which tops them all.

<< - - One stinking 50-250 (yes, mine).  Come on folks. Other people own
this lens. >>

Of course, Oben has one . . .  This was an extremely late lens design,
with a very short marketing period.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV