[OM] [OT] Show Submissions; a Learning Experience

Subject: [OM] [OT] Show Submissions; a Learning Experience
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 11:46:45 +0000
Friday afternoon was interesting.
Very interesting.

I hand delivered the paperwork and fees for entering the Indiana U. Kokomo Regional Art Show, which allows all media. That means anything that will fit through their gallery doors and is called "art" can be submitted (must fit inside a 6x6x6 foot cube). I had never been to the gallery there before, so the director gave me a personal tour. The current exhibit is a "solo" show of etchings and engravings. The level of work there has a "WOW Factor"! Photography generally does not fare well in mixed media shows. This is decidedly a cut *above* the standard regional *photo* show. They plan on displaying about the best 50, cutting at least 2/3 (probably more) based on the applications already in when I handed them mine. That means at least 2 of 3 will never see the walls or pedastals. There is a 1st, 2nd and 3rd . . . period. No media divisions, no categories, no age groups. Don't know if anyone on the list has walked into a competition of some type and suddenly discovered it's a very different and much stiffer league. Left there with some trepidation.

The entry fees are paid and finished mounting and framing the submissions yesterday, so I'm committed. I will be very, very, very happy, if one of the two cuts their muster and even gets displayed. The odds are not all that high. Odds of winning anything? Hah! Very, very slim to zero; emphasis on zero. I'm telling myself I will gain, if nothing else, a "learning experience" from doing this. I have much better hope with the four headed to the Logansport Art Association *Photo* Show at the same time.

-- John