Re: [OM] A few shots at the mall or fools rush in . . .

Subject: Re: [OM] A few shots at the mall or fools rush in . . .
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 20:12:30 -0500
I had a more positive experience with a 4x5 view camera in Houston, over 20
years ago.  Boy, we're aging ourselves. I was attending Rice University and
had a photography class and assignment.  I was going to do the skyline of
Houston, with the Pennzoil building in the forefront. Unfortunately, where I
needed to stand was occupied by the Convention center.

Not being bashful, I carried my equipment in and found the main office and
explained my project.  I asked if I could shoot from their roof -- fully
expecting them to laugh me out of the building.

Quite the contrary.  They had a security guard escort me to the roof and
stay with me for as long as I wanted -- over an hour -- making as many shots
as I wanted.  My guess is their insurance company would never allow it
today.

The results were, for my, just wonderful.  Got a good grade on that
assignment, especially after I told the story. I think I got extra credit
for being too stupid to think that I couldn't do what I did.

I must admit, working with a 4x5 Ilford negative was incredible.  The
university had the darkroom of your dreams. Open 24 hours (We all had keys).
Fresh chemicals always in the trays -- 16x20 trays -- Sodium vapor lighting,
as bright as day almost.  Must have been 20 enlargers in a huge room.  What
I wouldn't give for a setup like that.

Tom

> My most interesting experience with the long arm of the law while doing
some
> photography, occurred a little over thirty years ago and I assume the
outcome
> would be quite different today.  Houston had just completed a beautiful
new
> airport with many interesting architectural features/shapes and I was a
> photography student at Sam Houston State University.  For one of my
> assignments I packed up a 4X5 view camera and headed to the airport.  It
> wasn't until I had done my exterior shots and moved inside that security
> caught up with me.  I had the camera set up in one of the passage ways
> leading to the gates and I got the old proverbial tap on the shoulder
while
> having my head stuck under a big piece of black cloth trying to get the
thing
> focused.  They took me and the camera down to security and after a little
> searching through my gear and asking a few questions they decided it would
be
> OK for me to continue with the project.  The assignment turned out great.
In