Re: [OM] More wedding pictures / Comments on being A Wedding Photograph

Subject: Re: [OM] More wedding pictures / Comments on being A Wedding Photographer For Just One Day
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 20:55:46 +0000
At 15:25 9/3/01, Hnz wrote:
I've created a real thumbnail-based gallery with more images I took of
Olaf's wedding:
http://www.taiga.ca/~esif/portfolio/olafswedding/

/*-----------------------------------------------------

[enormous snip]

Would I do it again next time? Maybe - the results aren't too bad, and some
parts were fun to do. But I guess the initial advice would still be to let a
professional do the job...

hnz

Hans,
Now that you've can claim being an experienced wedding photographer . . .
Seriously, if you ever have to do it again, planning for it should be much easier, and you have a better idea of what works for you and what doesn't (bodies, lenses, lighting, film, etc.).

From my military career: a wise general once told me that even the very best of battle plans is only good until the first shot gets fired.

It primarily ensures you have enough of the right stuff on hand and that it's well organized at the beginning. All you can do after that is go with the flow as the day unfolds, and revise the original plan as needed. As it gets revised, the plan ensures you haven't missed anything. If you do omit something, it's a conscious decision at the time and not a surprising discovery a week later.

You did a good job, and a large number of your photographs are very nice. I like the pastel shades in some of the available light ones you shot in the church. Gives them a soft, warm feeling. A number of the candids are very good, and you handled the short lens for them very well. You also maintained good background perspectives, even with the very short lenses. When the flow of events requires working quickly, that is not easy.

-- John