Re: [OM] A few shots at the mall

Subject: Re: [OM] A few shots at the mall
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 20:43:53 -0600
At 05:56 PM 02/09/2001 +0000, John Lind wrote:
>Yes, it is sad.  Fact is, a mall is private property. ...  If some mall
>rent-a-cop had confiscated (or even tried to confiscate) the camera and film .
>. . that would be another matter entirely.

I've taken pictures inside a mall a number of times, including the "great"
Worst Edmonton Hell.  Used my digital Fuji mostly (forgive me, Maitani-san!) --
so small and un-camera-like that the average mall rent-a-cop wouldn't even clue
in to what I was doing.  As I used to work in retail camera sales, I *know*
that good rental cops (as opposed to the clueless dolts who are just working
there until they get the call from the "real" police force to join the Big Boys
and Girls) have to be very careful not to do anything that could be construed
as theft or assault, since they do not in fact have any authority from any
level of government, nor are they either judicial or quasi-judicial authorities
in their own right.  They're just private citizens working for a retail outlet.

On the other hand, Worst Edmonton Hell has solved *that* problem -- they
actually have a detachment office of the Edmonton Police Service right in Phase
Two of the Mall...  (Keeps the teenage drug dealers and pimps/pros in line...).

Garth