Re: [OM] Compensating fgr skin tone (Was Another question)

Subject: Re: [OM] Compensating fgr skin tone (Was Another question)
From: "John Prosper" <japrosper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 08:30:14 -0500
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 9/2/01 7:25:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time, GMcGrath@xxxxxxx
writes:

> To get a "correct" exposure onto the film, if you were metering Caucasian
>  skin you need to remember that proper exposure is +1 from middle gray

Any info. on exposure compensation for black folk?  I know they come in all
shades from "caucasian" to jet black, but was just wondering.  I have a
wonderful black co-worker with a million dollar smile that I want to take
some portraits of. Portraiture is new to me. I have a roll of Kodak 160 NC, the 85/2, and the OM-2S is a whole lot smarter than I am... but I would sure
appreciate any "tips".  Haven't decided indoors vs. outdoors yet.  May do
both if she's willing & patient. I will bracket. That much I know. Thanks.

Using portrait print film (e.g., Kodak Portra 160 NC), I have found that with average dark skin, you want to set your exposure for +2 above middle grey (+1 for average Caucasian skin tones). This is equivalent to setting your ISO speed for Kodak Portra 160 NC to 40 ISO for dark skin (or 80 ISO for Caucasians). I vary this basic exposure depending on the deviation from average tones for both Caucasians and dark color skin folks. Since other skin tone groups generally fall between these two extremes, I compensate accordingly. The skin tones for "darks" deviate so widely that learning to shoot them alone is great training for shooting other skin color groups. In fact, "darks" overlap all skin color groups save for albinos.

Agfa's Portrait XPS 160 material (ISO 160) performs extremely well at 40 ISO. In fact, the print film engineered for portrait usage that I have used (Kodak's Vericolor & Vericolor III and Agfa Portrait XPS 160) appear to absolutely GLOW and SPARKLE with flash usage, particularly if the harsh highlights typical of bare flash usage are alleviated by employing diffusion boxes (e.g., Westcott's Micro & Mini Apollo diffusion boxes - great for location shoots). ;-)

I have put off using Fuji's NPS 160 portrait material long enough: I know many wedding/portrait photogs praise it highly. However, Agfa's Portrait XPS 160 still had the highest high contrast figure among portrait print films last time I checked - 150 lines/mm (60 lines/mm low contrast), and it remains my standard unless Fuji's material can score a decisive knockout punch. This dual high/low contrast index, combined with the subdued color palette characteristic of portrait print films and the low 3.5 granularity index, actually makes Portrait XPS 160 a great print film for copy work (such as copying slides). The fairly recent proliferation of new portrait transparency materials (e.g., Fujichrome Astia 100 Pro, Kodak Ektachrome 100 Pro, Ektachrome 100 Plus, Ektachrome Pro E100S & E100SW, Elite Chrome family) can actually make this copy work versatility of Agfa Portrait XPS 160 more valuable. One can take the portrait slide originals and reproduce great print copies to hand out to friends or clients. ;-)

John