RE: [OM] eyesight vs. focusing

Subject: RE: [OM] eyesight vs. focusing
From: "Tom A. Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 14:39:28 -0400
On Thursday, August 09, 2001 at 12:02, Daniel J. Mitchell
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote on "RE: [OM] eyesight vs. focusing," saying..

> > Close focusing is "funny." Some subject to film plane distances can't
> > be focused! That's why a "focusing stage" is often used to move the
> > whole lens & camera assembly. You have to adjust the lens "focus" to
> > frame it right or get the right degree of magnification, then move
> > the camera & lens position to focus.
> >
> > No focusing stage? Fiddle with your tripod.
>
>  Oh, I spent some time moving the tripod around, believe me.. (and wishing
> it wasn't so blasted windy, sigh)

Sometimes it's good to bring a large reflector, like plastic
"cardboard", for fill and for wind control. Use straightened
clotheshanger wires to stick into the ground and thru the cardboard.

Or a white photo umbrella.

Loose sticks can prop a stem so it moves less.

An assistant, of any age, can be really useful as you run out of
hands.

> I wound up aligning things so that the split image was not split,
> and fiddling with distance so that it was "in the middle" between
> where it was definitely blurry one way and definitely blurry the
> other way -- is this the best I can do under this sort of
> condition, then?

You should be moving the camera to focus as the *last* step.

Not the right framing? then adjust the lens focus a bit, and then
move the camera again.

TomT
----Questions answered, answers questioned.
Tom A. Trottier<Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>         http://abacurial.com
+1 613 291-1168 fax:594-5412  ICQ:57647974  N45.41694 W75.70462
            400 Slater St. Suite 415, Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7S7
    *After 2001 Oct 20:758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7V8*
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-George Bernard Shaw, writer, Nobel laureate (1856-1950)