[OM] More wedding pictures / Comments on being A Wedding Photographer Fo

Subject: [OM] More wedding pictures / Comments on being A Wedding Photographer For Just One Day
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 17:13:10 +0200
Hi,

Well, as promised: I'm back, and I too survived the wedding :)

First off, I want to give a big public thank you to Hans for his excellent
work in shooting our wedding, there were certainly a few hick-ups but
nonetheless he delivered great work. Not only did he do an excellent job on
shooting the pictures, but also he sent me the negatives, contact prints,
AND scans (both in high res TIFF and in JPG format), and all this for a
really low (= cost) price! :)))

So here goes:

TTTTTTT  H  H    A     N   N   K  K      Y   Y     OO     U   U
   T     H  H   A A    NN  N   K K        Y Y     O  O    U   U
   T     HHHH  A   A   N N N   K           Y     O    O   U   U
   T     H  H  AAAAA   N  NN   K K         Y      O  O    U   U
   T     H  H  A   A   N   N   K  K        Y       OO      UUUU

:)))

Good, now that we've got that out of the way, some specific comments in
reply to Hans' message:

>I've created a real thumbnail-based gallery with more images I took of
>Olaf's wedding: http://www.taiga.ca/~esif/portfolio/olafswedding/

Great work indeed, once more I'd like to express our eternal gratitude! :)

>decided to accept the 'job', thinking it would be an interesting
experience.

Yep, this way we both in a way had a win-win situation, and everyone that
has seen the pictures so far said that they were very nice, so I'm glad I
asked you for the job.

>told me the conditions in case of a worst case scenario. I learned that it
>was a real dark church, at 3200 ASA, F2 he could only get shutter speeds of
>1/15...

Yes, dark is definitely an understatement, I would think a cavern has more
light than that church ;)

>I still decided to arrive in Enschede at the time we originally planned, so
>that I could inspect the church and the light. Olaf also showed me the
>disaster area of the firework factory explosion, last year.

Indeed, the disaster area is by no means the same as it was last year, a lot
has been restored already and most of the buildings have now been completely
leveled (as far as the explosions hadn't already taken care of that).
Regarding the church inspection, this was a good thing about Gioconda's
"CLA", as at least it provided enough time to inspect it at ease :)

>Yes, the results of Gioconda's CLA were great - I could have easily shot
one
>hundred images of her - if not everything took much longer than expected
and
>there was only about 15 minutes left for the session... Exit planning,
enter
>chaos. I think a professional would not have accepted this but I had no
>choice. Lesson #1: always make sure everyone understands the importance of
>such a session and how much time really is needed.

Indeed, the issue arose at the hairdresser: I had told them several times we
could absolutely not afford to have them take more than 1 hour for it, yet
it took 1.5 hours there, after which the other stuff also started late. This
additional half an hour would have been VERY useful for the park session...

>The weather was not Dutch, it was Spanish. Bright and sunny, at the middle
>of the day. Not exactly the light you would want for some romantic soft
>wedding pictures. Fortunately we started at a location under a tree, in the
>shade.

This was something which I fortunately enough had planned better, as the day
before the wedding I inspected the park to check out the best spots, so we
could quickly go there straight away.

>Olaf also did some shooting here, using his OM-4Ti, Zuiko 100/2, F280,
Provia F100,

Hehehe, yeah, quite hilarious when looked at it afterwards: the groom
quickly helping out the photographer in shooting :)
I'm glad I did though, as the slides did not come out bad at all, I simply
shot in Auto mode, using the F280 in Super FP (with shutter speeds of some
1/250th seconds or so).

>and also had his bad luck with the first shots: forgot that the camera was
on manual 1/60
>- no flash, no meter.

On "B", actually, but what's the difference ;)
Indeed, after having tried to take some lightning shots two nights before
the wedding, I had completely forgotton to turn the camera off the B
position. Good grief, at first I thought my viewfinder display was broken,
but fortunately I soon noticed the camera was still on B :)

>Olaf drove like a maniac

Naaaah, not like a maniac, just like Michael Shumacher ;))) Sure let 'em
wheels spin ;)))

>... and so was I when I was dropped at the church and realized there wasn't
>much time for me to set up my equipment.

Yes, a thing which was probably not noticed by many people was that I
stalled the entrance a bit to gain some time for Hans to get his stuff
set-up ;)

>After a couple of shots the tension disappeared and I could shoot handheld.

It was good to see Hans moving around at ease in all sorts of angles and
with a variety of gear, I directly had a gut feeling that the pictures would
work out really well. I'm glad I was not mistaken! :)

>Would I do it again next time? Maybe - the results aren't too bad, and some
>parts were fun to do. But I guess the initial advice would still be to let
>professional do the job...

Well, as John also mentioned, something surely will go wrong. I think in the
end our hick-ups weren't too bad, the major ones being due to a too tight
time schedule, that's definitely my lesson learned for situations like
these, for the rest I'm very satisfied with the results, and each of the 6
rolls of film had roughly a 50+% keeper rate, so that's by no means bad!

Now... Would I shoot a wedding if I were asked to do so? I guess I would if
it's a small wedding, but shooting a really big wedding would be a different
ball game altogether, so I'm not certain I'd pick up that gauntlett...

Finally a question: is it really a big no-no to wear white socks at a
wedding ?!? :)))

Cheers!
Olafo