Re: [OM] Compensating fgr skin tone (Was Another question)

Subject: Re: [OM] Compensating fgr skin tone (Was Another question)
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 08:35:19 +0100
Surely John this will tend to lighten the skin - "overexpose" it I mean. The point about the question (as I understand it) is that the meter is calibrated for 18 0rey and if used by itself it the skin colour will tend towards that "colour".

I should have said that for shadow to come out as shadow, it needs to be set at the lower end of the range of the exposure. The highlights would surely be the eyes or any catchlight in the teeth or eye. This is partly theory on my part as I don't do portraits ...

This is a topical point for me, as I am just re-learning the idea of ranges of exposures after some excellent articles in Amateur Photographer. In addition, the Royal Air Force will pay for a B/W printing course before I leave (called "resettlement training") and this, I hope, will be an important part of that learning process.

Chris