Re: [OM] Re: Digital Musings

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Digital Musings
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 12:49:08 -0400
Cc: wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Color negatives are only feasible for mortals with the JObo-type processor that Dirk suggests. Or just let a good local lab or 1Hr shop do the develop-only negatives for cheap.

B&W Is a snap. Invest $75-100 in tanks, reels, etc. I did 6 rolls last night in 45 minutes. And it takes up almost no space and doesn't require any darkroom. I wouldn't send my B&W film out to anyone except a pro lab. Anyway, it's too easy to do it yourself.

Scanning? The cheapest, _real_ scanner is the HP Photosmart. I paid $350 for mine and it's been fabulous (a Nikon 4000ED will be in my future soon however). It has issues though, but the results on my website have been very good.

For slide processing, buy Fuji or Kodak mailers. Easiest, most repeatable method, IMO. Others use custom labs, which are also very reliable.

Digital? It's here to stay and the consumer market is embracing them like there's no tomorrow. I went to a 20k road race yesterday and I'd bet 500f the cameras that people were carrying around were digital. And that didn't include the Pros with their D1's or the spectator that I saw with an Olympus E-10 and all the goodies.

Buy stock in ink and paper companies. Especially because most of those prints are going to fade and have to be re-printed.

Skip

****** I M P O R T A N T   R E P L Y   I N F O ************
Please adddress ALL offlist messages to skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx
This hotmail.com email address is ONLY used for this mailing list subscription and I will probably not notice any private messages addressed here.