Re: [OM] Idiots and some T32 questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Idiots and some T32 questions
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 19:02:13 +0200
: Firstly, I was taking a picture of someone in front of a window and my
OM2n
: decided in it's wisdom that I didn't need the flash, so the subject is
: seriously underexposed. Is there any way around this other than set the
: flash and camera to Manual?

This can also be handled in OTF/TTL flash, the same way as you handle such
shots with available light: turn in +1.5 stop compensation. Watch the
indicated shutter speed. Select an aperture that gives a speed of 1/30 or
slower.

: Also I was taking some pics at a wedding using the T32 and my bounce grip.
: After some time the "ready" light on the flash came on as usual but the
red
: light in the viewfinder didn't. Finally the flash just didn't fire. In
: desperation I took the batteries out of the flash unit (so it was running
on
: only the BG batteries) and from then on it worked perfectly. What was
going
: on here?

A wedding :) Only happens there :)))

I have no idea. Ask Murphy.

: Am I correct that whatever setting the camera is in, when you have a T32
: attached the shutter speed will always be 60th?.

With the OM-2n it's actually 1/45.

: Is there any way around
: this (if I want a really long exposure but a quick flash to freeze the
: subject)

Only with camera in manual; flash in Normal Auto or Manual.

: And the last one is:- I've read loads of tips/hints etc but still can't
get
: my poor little brain around it.  Fill-in flash with a T32. Let's give an
: example. Say my meter reading is f8 at 60th and I'm using ASA 100 film.
: Presumably I'd set the T32 to manual but what would I set it to for a
: fill-in. I know this has been asked before but I really am totally at a
: loss.

The flash in manual indeed gives you most control. You use the old GN
formula, and adjust the distance according to the GN, or the GN according to
the distance. Remember that there are several ways to change the GN of the
T32. It has two GN's built in (32 and 16m) but you can lower them by using
the wide filter, ND filter, or a home-made filter (handkerchieve, paper, or
put your fingers on the flash window). Fot true fill-in flash you should use
a bit longer distance than the GN formula gives you for the selected GN (or
a lower GN than the distance would need).

More info at http://www.taiga.ca/~esif/om-sif/flashphotogroup/flashmodes.htm

: (P.S. the OM5 LE? I read about that - it's rubbish. Glad there are none
: left. I'll just wait for my pre-ordered OM6 Special Edition to arrive in
: time for Christmas)

Too bad, the OM-6 SE was a hoax.

hnz