Re: [OM] Re: Digital Musings

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Digital Musings
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:48:14 EDT
I am a reformed person on this subject. Two years ago I bought a (then) good
megapixel digital Olympus and was slightly intimidated by it (or maybe just
not entralled) and took my time really getting to "know" it. I continued to
take my OM's or even my IS-1 everywhere and considered the digital to be a
"plaything". It was probably 6 months before I seriously started grabbing the
Oly digital for trips, trade shows, etc. In fact, one year ago this week I
went to Germany and hauled the IS-1 AND the OM2 and tons of film AS WELL as
my digital (talk about a glutton for punishment!)

It was probably the European trip that convinced me to give the digital more
due as the shots taken were magnificent...you simply upload the shots you
want prints of to an online printer (Ophoto, etc) and they mail them back
pronto..and you save vastly by only processing the ones you actually need.
The quality of the Olympus digital lenses, just like our beloved Zuiks, is
excellent. I am amazed more every day with the camera's closeup ability, yet
it is not billed as a closeup lens in any way. I recently got a 128mb card on
Ebay for $90...darn cheap in my book. Yes, it eats a few batteries but it
takes about 30 with flash per set, so I take 4 sets with me in pockets. The
equivalent range of 28-105 is fine, and the small size and lack of bulk is
delightful. The slowness of auto-exposure is something i am already used to
with the IS series. Once you become really familiar with the quirks of
lighting (particularly in incandescent lighting) and proficient in the use of
fill-flash, you will become extremely happy wih your digital results.

In short, I am using it more and more, and the OM's are sitting more and
more...but the real change is that the IS-1 hasn't been touched in 10 months.
 So I will readily avow that the digitals are indeedy replacing the need for
the point-and-shoot daily-use flim camera....but in fact will supplant the
film cameras quickly simply because you have an instant product with no
developement cost..you can view them on your TV screen or monitor, store them
forever in CD format and get out those huge TIFF's only for development. As
sad as that makes those of us that have lived qith the OM's for decades, this
is the future. SO I choose to ride with it and adapt to both...having my cake
and eating it too.

I also wear more than one pair of shoes. I have my favorites, but that
doesn't mean I wear them with every outfit. I may wrinkle my nose at the
"looks" of the more comfortable Birkees vs. my more traditional leather
shoes, but the comfort and ease of wear has convinced me to try them. And I
like them. And the leathers get used less often. I still have them...they
will simply last longer now that they are not being used quite so much! "Try
on" and really use a digital for a bit..you might be surprised.

Susan Steele
Virginia USA
The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight shoes.