[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2703

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2703
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:33:56 -0500
I use ConeTech's Piezography system for B&W printing.
What Skip says! My lab owning friend bought a setup. He uses it for his old
photo restoration business. He scans the originals, and fixes them in
photoshop. Before, he had to write the file to a film recorder, process the
film, ahd have the B&W printer make hand prints. Now, he writes the file
direct to the piezo printer. The results are more archival than fiber based
prints by at least double (carbon black inks), and the look is at least as
good. He saves the cost of film, paper, processing, and employee's time,
although the cost of materials is higher. Cost to customer? About the same.
Delivery? Usually quicker. Only downside is the initial expense. This is the
kind of thing that would get me out of a wet darkroom. Unlike color, these
prints can be distinctly better than wet prints. The only place it may fall
down is glossy. Anyone here remember ferrotyped fiber prints?

Is it "safe" to get film developed at a generic place?
Not really. Aside from scratches, many free standing machines use one shot
chemistry. There goes your consistency. I'm also concerned that there is
basically no wash, as most machines are not hooked to plumbing. I don't know
what effect this has on longevity, as wash times in replenished systems have
been reduced dramatically.

Having said that, I occasionally use drugstore 1 hour labs, when I shoot
something that can be reshot, or isn't that important. The results, once you
know the ins and outs of lab management, are astonishing, something like the
way the big Qualex labs don't loose that much film.

Bill Pearce