Re: [OM] Re: Digital Musings

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Digital Musings
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 17:51:58 -0700
That's actually half of what I paid at Maturana in San Sebastian this summer for pro lab work, so don't feel too bad. Though I'm not sure what kind of "service" your lab renders. Maturana is the one store in that town that does its own work right as far as I know, plus it doesn't charge for frames that are obviously bad--and the store's judgment is always right on. It's obvious their standards are high and the people doing the work know what they're about. (Even so the gross of my pictures turned out plain god awful to mediocre, though. <g>)

Your points re the digital medium are well taken on balance, I think, though it still has some distance to go to draw even with film emulsion technology. Still, the direction of the profession and hobby is clear enough for all who care to see. A shame, really. I eyed the pros around the U.S Open courts the other day on TV before I returned. It was all about ease of use and auto focus and "that's good enough let's get on with it" as far as i could tell. They all seemed to be using Nikon automatics, and at that with lenses which seemed if anything at all a bit long for the purpose. Maybe editors are into to facial closeups these days above all other possibilities.

Anyway, I didn't see an "honest" camera in the bunch. A kid with an OM-1 MD, motor drive and 200mm could have done just as good at the work, I'm thinking.

Tris