Re: [OM] A few shots at the mall

Subject: Re: [OM] A few shots at the mall
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 23:04:53 -0400

OK, I'm full of stories tonight.  Back in the early 90's, we were moving to
Dallas and for about 5 months I commuted every Sunday night from SC to TX
and back on Friday night.  Since my wife was in school, she couldn't handle
an 8 month old and an 18 month old, so the 18 month old did the trip with me
every week -- we had an apartment and she went to daycare.  Riding on my lap
on the airplane.  We got in about midnight on Sunday nights.

How long did it take for you and Debbie's hair to grow back in? :-) I can't imagine the stress level you were functioning at.

We were on our
way to the apartment and I stopped for gas.  There was a young woman, early
20's, just standing outside the door of the Quikmart crying as I started to
drive away.  I rolled down the window and asked if I could help.  At first,
she was going to blow me off -- a 30 something guy, until she noticed
Shannon asleep in the back.  She must have been in a tough situation, as she
asked for a ride to her apartment, about 4 or 5 miles away, through a rough
part of town.

When my students get in a discussion on the merits of marriage, I use the illustration of walking down a street in a major city at twilight and rounding a corner to come face to face with a group of adult men. Now what if someone told you a) they are all single or b) they are all married? Would it make a difference to you? Statistics clearly indicate the quickest way for a young person - male or female - to lengthen their life expectancy is to get married. Seems the accident rate suddenly goes way down - decreased craziness and violence it seems. I think we intuitively know that and fear someone with the indications of marriage about them.

Just my $0.02 worth, YMMV

Gregg