Re: [OM] Idiots and some T32 questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Idiots and some T32 questions
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 21:00:33 -0700 (PDT)
Sam Shiell wrote:

(Snip) . . . I've read loads of tips/hints etc but still can't
get my poor little brain around it.  Fill-in flash with a T32. Let's
give an example. Say my meter reading is f8 at 60th and I'm using ASA
100 film. Presumably I'd set the T32 to manual but what would I set it
to for a fill-in. I know this has been asked before but I really am
totally at a loss.
Sam,

IMHO, the easiest way to get fill-in flash is to use the T32 in 'Auto'
mode, i.e. using the built-in sensor in the T32 (located in the middle
of the letter O in "OLYMPUS") and use a narrower aperture than the
flash thinks you are using.

Set the film speed on the flashgun and select a suitable auto setting
according to the approximate camera-to-subject distance. Normally, you
would ensure that the lens aperture agrees with the auto setting you
have chosen but, since you need to under-expose the flash for fill-in,
you should set the lens aperture 2 stops narrower than that.

For example, if the flashgun indicates that you should use f/4, set the
lens to f/8. If you want to be on the safe side, you can take a couple
of additional shots, one using an intermediate aperture between 5.6 and
8 and the other between 8 and 11.

All of this assumes, of course, that you can use a shutter speed at or
below the camera's fastest synch. speed (1/60) at that aperture, based
on the ambient light. If not, you will need to go for a smaller
aperture, using a different auto setting on the flash (there is a
choice of 3) and work based on that. Slow film is easier, of course.

Regards,

=====
Ray