[OM] Film question, again.....

Subject: [OM] Film question, again.....
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 08:03:52 -0500
OK, now that it is Soccer season, I want to revisit the whole film issue.  I
know it has been done to death, but that's the challenge with film.  You
have the combination of the 'circumstances in which you will be shooting'
with 'new film advances' to deal with.  Throw in the whole scanning issue,
and I get lost.

So here's the setup:

1) Outdoor pictures, usually bright sun, but sometimes overcast
2) Very fast action -- little girls run very fast
3) Negative film for the fast turnaround and latitude
4) Low-grain, if possible
5) Good scanning characteristics
6) Good skin tones - remember, the goal (no pun intended) is people shots.
Fast moving, little people.

I've traditionally used 400 speed, as that gets me both depth of field and
fast shutter speeds.  I use a zoom, usually the 50-250, so there isn't much
light to begin with.

I've always used the Fuji 400 that I get cheap at the WalMart, but thought
maybe people had better suggestions. I burn a lot of film, though, and the
processing gets expensive too, so I don't want $10 a roll film.  Film
available in 24's is preferred too, as that's a perfect game length.

All shots with OM, of course, making this marginally on topic.

Thanks!

Tom