[OM] OT: Old Kodachromes

Subject: [OM] OT: Old Kodachromes
From: "Charles Geilfuss" <cgeilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 15:12:59 +0000
Greetings all,
My father recently gave me a box of old family photos all of which are color transparencies. About 75% are Kodachrome and the remainder something called Anscochrome. I examined them all last night using a loupe and am stunned by how good the Kodachromes look (most of these photos date from 1952-1959). The colors and clarity remain stunning and rival the color of my childhood memory. The Anscochrome slides on the other hand are pretty washed out. Here is the rub: all of them are pretty dusty with quite a bit remaining after a gentle burst of compressed air. Is there any way to safely clean these slides? I asked my father what type of camera he used but he couldn't remember, but lo and behold, in one the shots of yours truely at age 4 years (currently 47)I am holding the camera box and in clear view on the side: Spartus 35! Sorry to disappoint, I'm sure you were expecting an old Olympus for a perfect ending to this story. OM Content: I hope my Olympus shot slides/prints still look as good in AD 2030.

Charlie Geilfuss