Re: [OM] off OM topic: opinions on medium format 6x6 camera systems

Subject: Re: [OM] off OM topic: opinions on medium format 6x6 camera systems
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 5 Sep 2001 10:00:56 -0700
On Wed, 05 September 2001, "james olson" wrote:

> While I still use my OM equipment, I have found myself enjoying the larger
> negative, and the square format that my Rolleiflex gives me.  The only
> problem I am having is being limited to the 80mm lens.  On my way home from
> labor day weekend, I stopped, hiked down into a canyon, and was shooting
> photos of kids jumping into a small river... Backlit, slow moving water...
> Beautiful, but I only had one view point, and it wasn't ideal...
>
> So, I'd love to have a Hassleblad, but the cost of a semi-wide (50mm), or
> telephoto (150mm)lens aren't realistic.  I've been looking at the Rollei
> SL-66, and well, I'm looking for any other ideas anyone on the list may
> have.
>
> What I would like, would be a light, 6x6 body, 50mm, 80mm and 150mm or
> so..... At a somewhat affordable price...
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> James.

I have put together a Graflex XL outfit for less than $2500.  There?s nothing
automatic about it.  It?s a rangefinder type 6x9 camera, last made in the '70s,
with viewfinder frames for the lenses.  It takes interchangeable backs (I use
Horseman and Mamiya backs), giving a choice of 6x6, 6x7 or 6x9 formats.  I
prefer 6x9 because it?s the same 2:3 ratio as 35mm.  The lenses, though older
and single-coated, are excellent.  My kit includes these: 58/5.6 Rodenstock
Grandagon, 80/2.8 Zeiss Planar, 100/2.8 Zeiss Planar, 180/4.5 Rodenstock
Rotelar, 270/6.6 Rodenstock Rotelar.  It?s a good poor man?s alternative if you
can live without all the bells and whistles of the high-priced stuff.

Walt Wayman