RE: [OM] Help wanted

Subject: RE: [OM] Help wanted
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 10:51:23 -0700
Tri-X processed at home does sound workable pricewise, assuming you're set up for that. Most are not. If not, then the processing for B&W film will cost you even more today than for color many (if not most) places. Also, as much as I'm fond of Tri-X, having used it for 25 years with ultimate success, I'd the consider the higher speed T-MAX for this application. I used some of the latter this past month in Spain and I've got to say that's one very good film emulsion. Since you can buy it three full stops faster than Tri-X I think for low-light sports situations it's the logical way to go.

Is the fellow who said he was going to work a 200mm from the stands? If so, I'd think again. Even at a high school facility that's not going to offer you much of a useable image. From the sidelines it'll give you okay shots from, say, the 50-yard line out to either 30, and maybe all the way across the field at both extremes. Otherwise a 300mm is more like it, and from the stands (or an elevated platform--high schools seem to like those for the press) a 400mm is more like what's called for. Of course I realize everyone doesn't have that much lens to work with, just pointing out the realities of sports photography when it comes to football games.

As for color: go with a couple rolls of 1600 Fujicolor Press and a second body/lens if you can.

Tris