Re: [OM] (OT) Back from the wilds...

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Back from the wilds...
From: "Tom A. Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 17:10:10 -0400
On Thursday, September 06, 2001 at 16:53, Bruce Hamm <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote on "Re: [OM] (OT) Back from the wilds...," saying..

> Hi Tom,
>
> > Time for some spray skirts. Dangerous, too, easy to swamp.
> > There were a couple of deaths recently near here due to this.
> > Thank goodness they weren't cross winds!
>
> I was really worried about swamping. For this reason, I made sure that we
> kept close to shore at all times. Made for not the most direct course, but
> definitely the safest. Otherwise, we just kept our noses to the wind as much
> as possible.

Yeah, I walked once, the winds were so high. (There was a road
nearby.)

> > But why do you need 142 lbs for 3 1/2 days? I've read that John Muir
> > and the other Sierra trekkers fasted on their mountain weekends,
> > taking only a blanket along. I guess those male-bonding beer cases
> > add up...Travel (blue) light!
>
> Nope, no alcohol. Given our workload, dehydration was enough of a problem
> without compounding it with alcohol. However, it may have come in
> handy...for medicinal purposes :)
> Truth be told, I really didn't need 142 lbs worth of gear, and during the
> portages I often found myself cursing my packing job. Tent, sleeping bag,
> Thermarest, cooking kit, stove, fuel, food, water, camera gear, and (far too
> much) clothing add up quickly.

Yes, better to stink for 3 days, or swim fully clothed each day.

> The tripod works well with my cameras and smaller lenses. I try to shoot
> with one on all occasions, so the fact that it is on the smaller side bodes
> well as I can easily carry it with my kit. However, under the heavier load
> of larger lenses, and the fact that rarely could I set it up on flat sturdy
> ground, it simply did not provide enough stability. I need to invest in
> something stronger as well as getting a good ball head.

I like my manfrotto/bogen 190QCB. Sturdy, tall, tho 5 lbs with QR
ball head. Reasonable price. 2nd choice, carbon fibre Gitzo....

> > > If anyone on this list is considering a trip to eastern Canada in the
> > > future, I high recommend a visit to Algonquin Park for those of you who
> > > enjoy the outdoors.
> >
> > Yeah, we can tell...
>
> Well...maybe I could recommend a different route :)
>
> > Wanna go on another trip one weekend?
>
> Definitely. Regardless of some of the more "interesting" aspects of the
> trip, I thoroughly enjoyed it and plans are in the works for another come
> spring as well as next fall. Next time, though, we'll pack lighter and
> either take more time or plan a more reasonable route. And I'll definitely
> take more pictures...

Would you like to go together, trade lenses?

Tom
-------- Questions answered, answers questioned. No spam, please
Tom A. Trottier <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> ICQ:57647974 +1 613 291-1168
fax:594-5412   415-400 Slater St. Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7S7
*After 2001 Oct 20:758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8*