Re: [OM] off OM topic: opinions on medium format 6x6 camera systems

Subject: Re: [OM] off OM topic: opinions on medium format 6x6 camera systems
From: "Tom A. Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 01:23:39 -0400
Consider a monorail 4x5 with a roll film back, too.

Tom

On Wednesday, September 05, 2001 at 10:00, Walt Wayman <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote on "Re: [OM] off OM topic:  opinions on," saying..

> On Wed, 05 September 2001, "james olson" wrote:
>

> > While I still use my OM equipment, I have found myself enjoying the larger
> > negative, and the square format that my Rolleiflex gives me.  The only
> > problem I am having is being limited to the 80mm lens.  On my way home from
> > labor day weekend, I stopped, hiked down into a canyon, and was shooting
> > photos of kids jumping into a small river... Backlit, slow moving water...
> > Beautiful, but I only had one view point, and it wasn't ideal...
> >
> > So, I'd love to have a Hassleblad, but the cost of a semi-wide (50mm), or
> > telephoto (150mm)lens aren't realistic.  I've been looking at the Rollei
> > SL-66, and well, I'm looking for any other ideas anyone on the list may
> > have.
> >
> > What I would like, would be a light, 6x6 body, 50mm, 80mm and 150mm or
> > so..... At a somewhat affordable price...
> >
> > Any ideas would be appreciated.
> >
> > James.
>
> I have put together a Graflex XL outfit for less than $2500.  There?s nothing
> automatic about it.  It?s a rangefinder type 6x9 camera, last made in the
> '70s, with viewfinder frames for the lenses.  It takes interchangeable backs
> (I use Horseman and Mamiya backs), giving a choice of 6x6, 6x7 or
6x9 formats.  I prefer 6x9 because it?s the same 2:3 ratio as 35mm.  The
lenses, though older and single-coated, are excellent.  My kit includes these:
58/5.6 Rodenstock Grandagon, 80/2.8 Zeiss Planar, 100/2.8 Zeiss Planar, 180/4.5
Rodenstock Rotelar, 270/6.6 Rodenstock Rotelar.  It?s a good poor
man?s alternative if you can live without all the bells and whistles of the
high-priced stuff.

> Walt Wayman

-------- Questions answered, answers questioned. No spam, please
Tom A. Trottier <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> ICQ:57647974 +1 613 291-1168
fax:594-5412   415-400 Slater St. Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7S7
*After 2001 Oct 20:758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8*