Re: [OM] Re: Digital Musings

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Digital Musings
From: "Tom A. Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 01:27:56 -0400
On Wednesday, September 05, 2001 at 9:21, Ken N <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote on "Re: [OM] Re:  Digital Musings," saying..

> Here are a couple additional thoughts to the discussion:
>
> Digital will eventually replace film for the majority of images
> taken.  In the next five years?  Doubt it as that was predicted
> five years ago.  I do look at the cinima industry as an example
> of this.  It was predicted that video would completely replace
> film by 1980, then it was 1990, then it was 2000.  Guess what,
> feature films are STILL predominantly filmed on film stock.
> They do use video for the daylies, but the actual production is
> on film.  Video has taken over for most television shows,  It is
> predicted that feature films will be completely digital
> start-to-finish in another ten years.  HDTV has actually
> precipitated the roll-over towards digital.  It will be at least
> five years before movie theatres will have quality digital
> projection systems that rival film projection.

Wait until the actors are mostly digital....

> The "digital evolution" in still photography has been a
> bottom-up marketing development instead of top-down.  Whenever
> product development is aimed at the masses instead of the
> professional application we will have this "obsolete before
> production run" scenario.  Just like the early days of autofocus
> cameras where Canon had their EOS dejour.  It took almost ten
> years before we stabalized with quality autofocus cameras where
> you can buy one today and know that it will still be current
> tomorrow.  There is still no digital SYTEM camera on the market.
>  PERIOD!
>
> This is really a stupid situation we are in yet.  Canon and
> Nikon both have digital bodies for 35mm lenses, but they are
> strictly temporary products until better technology/chips come
> along.  And then your fancy Nikon/EOS digital immediately
> becomes yesterday's technology and barely "usable."  For
> comparison, how many of us are still using 386 computers?  486?
> PENTIUM?  (not to be left out:  MAC II).

Still good, with Linux.

OMs will still be good, with film for years, for most photos and for
extreme situations

But Digital will dominate pretty soon.

TomT
----Questions answered, answers questioned.
Tom A. Trottier<Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>         http://abacurial.com
+1 613 291-1168 fax:594-5412  ICQ:57647974  N45.41694 W75.70462
            400 Slater St. Suite 415, Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7S7
    *After 2001 Oct 20:758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7V8*
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-George Bernard Shaw, writer, Nobel laureate (1856-1950)