Re: [OM] Advice on what to carry

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice on what to carry
From: pschings@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 16:04:45 -0400
Cc: david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hmmm tough choices here... lot's of nice gear. I'd probably take the
following:

Definitely take the OM-4. If your thought is to take another body, ask
yourself why. If it's just to have an emergency backup, I'd take the
OM-1. If you do a lot of 2 body shooting, then the OM-3 might make more
sense because the interface is similar to the OM-4's.

For lenses, I'd definitely take the 21 and the 65-200/4 (while I don't
own one, the 85-250 seems like more of a tripod/monopod lens to me). For
the in-between stuff, maybe one of the 35-70's and a 50 (1.8 or 1.4) in
case you need speed. If you do a lot of macro photography you may
consider adding one of the macros, but for just occasional macro stuff I
find a 50/1.8 and a set of extension tubes to be just the ticket.

Here's two options, first small and light:
OM-4Ti
21/3.5
35-70/3.5-4.5
50/1.8
65-200/4
extension tubes

(OK, "small and light" is relative. For me, "small and light" usually
refers to one body and a 50)

Bigger, more flexible:
OM-4Ti
OM-3 or OM-1
21/3.5
35-70/3.6
50/1.4
90/2.5 Tamron
65-200/4

There are any number of compromises in between, too.

What about a tripod? Maybe a flash, at least for the macro stuff? Got any
teleconverters?

Hope this is food for thought,

Paul Schings
On Fri, 7 Sep 2001 20:39:41 +0100 "David Howells" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>