Re: [OM] Film Scanner Test

Subject: Re: [OM] Film Scanner Test
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 19:51:34 -0500
From: "Joel Wilcox"

<snip>
> Unfortunately, the Nikon-Polaroid debate has a lot of the silliness of OS
> platform wars.  I can do more to affect the quality of my scans by very
> tiny bad decisions in technique than would ever be noticed in A-B-ing the
> two scanners themselves.
>
> I'm sure you'll enjoy the Nikon since it suits your needs.  I reckon if I
> could get a roll feeder for the SS4000 I might start shooting c-negative
> again.  However, I also seem to be shooting more sparingly lately, so the
> SS4000 and slide suits me OK.
>
> Joel W.

You hit the nail on the head.  The filmscanners list is hilarious -- fueled
by one guy from Applied Science Fiction (the Digital ICE people) and one guy
from Polaroid.  For me, they're just a tool.  A reasonably interchangeable
tool.  I waited almost a year from the 'promised' roll film adapter before I
gave in and switched to the Nikon.  Still love the Polaroid, but jumped
ship.

For those interested in the Polaroid, check out www.ecost.com  They have the
Polaroid for $465 (or so) with a coupon. They're out of stock but taking
orders for mid-September delivery.  Several people ordered this week when
they were in stock and got them in a few days.

Tom