Re: [OM] Back!

Subject: Re: [OM] Back!
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 13:11:24 -0300
On 9/7/01 3:27 PM, "Chris Barker" <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Welcome back Frugal.
>
> What did you think of Liege?  I think that it is a really special
> city, sort of seedy and dignified at the same time.  The Sunday
> market is pretty interesting...  Bruges is beautiful, so is Brussels,
> but I have been ripped off every time I have visited (eating, hotels
> etc...).  But I have a lovely photo of my wife's new yellow Beatle in
> La Grande Place, taken with a newly acquired 21/3.5, which I will
> post on my burgeoning website sometime soon.
>
> I have to say that you did not miss much in Luxembourg in my opinion
> (apologies to any Luxemburgers on the List).  It is a very tidy, very
> together, little state which is probably on a par with Brussels for
> cost.

Yes, I thought Liege was very interesting, a fun place to just wander around
looking for interesting photos. My guidebook described it as "decaying",
which sounded pretty negative. I'd more describe it like something that's
very worn but that has a real sense of character or history.

As for Bruges, it is beautiful but horribly crowded in the summer. I was
lucky in that it was raining when I went so I managed to wander around a bit
and have the city to myself almost. But it did clear up later and then tour
busses just appeared out of nowhere.

Brussels was also nice but very different from the other Belgian cities that
I visited.

As for costs, I was staying in a hostel in Ghent and only day tripping to
the other places, so that helped keep my costs much more reasonable.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx