Re: [OM] Oh no, will the Zuikoholic defect?

Subject: Re: [OM] Oh no, will the Zuikoholic defect?
From: "Michael Virsinger" <mikev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 14:32:41 -0400
Tom,

As a technologist and a high tech gadget freak, I amazed my friends and
family when I started with an all manual film based system last year when I
got into photography. Originally my motivation was astrophotography, but
later I fell in love with the "science meets art" feel I got using my OM-1n.
The OM system got all my creative juices flowing and for me, there is
nothing like relaxing behind my camera. My wife is a Nikon user and I got
her an F-100 as an anniversary gift. It is a very nice machine and I do on
occasion use it. Here are some observations:

1. The auto focus is pretty fast, but it varies with the lens you use. A lot
of this has to do with the mechanics built into the different lenses.
2. It is pretty fast and quiet even with the built in motor drive.
3. There are many modes, menus and settings. By the time I'm done scrolling
and selecting, I might as well have been spending the time focusing with my
OM.
4. When I use it, I always keep it on auto everything, which always leaves
me feeling somewhat cheated of the true photographic experience.
5. Frame for frame, my OM's (1n,2n, 4Ti) take just as nice photographs
(technically speaking) and I have that wonderful sense of accomplishment
when I get back a roll shot with my OM's that I do not get from the Nikon.

To that end I am planning to skip the auto focus SLR entirely and go
directly to digital when the time comes. Somehow starting with another film
based system just to get AF does not make sense to me unless you have a
specific need for film. Going digital saves on the expense of the film,
developing, scanning and printing costs. (well I guess not printing).

Just my 2¢.

Mike V. <><