Re: [OM] Oh no, will the Zuikoholic defect?

Subject: Re: [OM] Oh no, will the Zuikoholic defect?
From: Peter Dixon <P.Dixon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:47:32 +0100
Hi Tom

Just my thoughts on the can of worms you opened at the weekend.....

As I see it,the only 2 serious options for AF are canon and Nikon ... whilst other makers produce fine cameras, they do not have a full system behind them ... and knowing you, thats what you'll end up with...!!!! :-)

Seriously, A few years ago my Dad, who started me on this whole olympus thing, wanted to go AF. So for his 60th bday we got him a canon eos 1000 (?rebel). A decent enough camera, but v. plastic. ON his 65th bday an Eos 5 - a fine camera. I've used it quite a few times, with the canon 100-300 , 50 and 28 2.8 .. the AF is very good, and this camera is 6 or 7 years old. I imagine a 3 or a 1v would be amazing. Add the well regarded IS lenses and away you go

However, I'm not sure AF is used by "sports pros" as much as I assume.. a couple of pieces I have read recently mention that they still prefer to manual focus in many situations. Even a photo that was on the back page of the Independant on Sunday (UK paper), the photog stated it was MF even though he had a full blown AF kit.

If all this sounds like I'm going AF , I'm not. The joy of creating a photograph with total control of the picture is what OM photography is about, IMHO, and I love it. The few occasions I've shot sports and wildlife, I've not wished for AF.

Just my 2p.

Cheers

Pete

Dr. Peter Dixon
Neurogenetics Unit, Department of Clinical Neurology
6th Floor, Institute of Neurology
Queen Square
London WC1N 3BG
Tel: 0207 837 3611 xtn 4305