Re: [OM] Winder1 question

Subject: Re: [OM] Winder1 question
From: Bernd Möller <dsl33687a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 11:46:15 +0200
Hi,

> I'm getting used to using a winder for the first time.  (Winder1 on my OM-2,
> pre-"n")

Cool.

> The winder ripped out the sprocket holes near the last frame and kept
> "exposing" the last frame.  Is this normal?

No, this should not be normal. There must be something like a friction clutch
(the esif says "Solid-state circuits automaticall stop wind-on at the end of
film roll", see http://www.taiga.ca/~esif/om-sif/motordrivegroup/winder_1.htm).

Maybe your Winder 1 is defect.

> When winding by hand I know *exactly* when I've run out of film.  I don't
> stip sprocket holes and I certianly don't overexpose the final frame.
>
> Am I actually paying more money (for the winder) and getting LESS feedback
> from the camera?
>
> My brother's $200 point and shoot is smarter than this, or am I missing
> something?  (Does upgrading to Winder2 fix this or is Winder2 just as
> stupid, on the OM2?  Does anyone have a counter mod with an out-of-film
> beep?)

Winder 2 is essentially the same design. I have never had problems with a
Winder 2 on my OM-2.

Keep in mind that your Winder 1 is much STRONGER than the tiny motor in your
brother's P&S. (I can tear off the film from the canister spool, which is very
bad.)

There have been some threads on this topic earlier this year, I think. You
could start searching the archives, as I have no explanation for this behaviour.

> Eventually, I learned to hear a slipping sound when I ran out.

In normal operation the winder keeps on winding, but the camera will not fire.
You can hear this and see it in the viewfinder.

Regards

Bernd