Re: [OM] random thoughts

Subject: Re: [OM] random thoughts
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 11:58:33 -0700
-snip

First, scanning. Tom, stick with negative film. My lab owning friend says
you're better off. He can get better results scanning from a neg than a
chrome, tonal range, etc. He says that the commercial world will never own
up to that, and chromes will continue to be the standard, simply as there is
a reference for color and density. No one wants to take responsibility for
judging these things in the magazine and commercial world.

-snip

For once, I agree with my father: change is bad.

Bill Pearce

I agree with your assessment here that sometimes change is bad. Photographers used to select lenses and film for the "look", color rendition, contrast, gradation, etc. and use them until they really understood how their system worked and could give them the results they wanted. Thousands of photographers howled in protest when Kodak made changes to Kodachrome. Your lab guy doesn't like chrome because it is harder. It takes a better and more expensive scanner to capture the range of a chrome. It might even be necessary to do a shadow mask in Photoshop to get an accurate representation of the chrome in a print. With a negative he has no idea what the picture is supposed to look like and he can get a decent print even it doesn't look much like what the photographer intended.

As for his judgment that the commercial photography world is too timid to switch to obtain "better" results just seems silly to me. Think about it. A client with lots of money hires a super, high rep photographer who has established his/her reputation by controlling the process as much as possible to give his pictures the look that his clients pay for. Usually that is a chrome process because he can then point to the chrome and say this is the picture I took. Print that. He is not going to turn over interpretation of a negative to some anonymous guy with a scanner who has no idea what he had in mind.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California