Re: [OM] [OT] Western Canada

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Western Canada
From: "Parzival Herzog" <parz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 22:40:20 -0500
When going east, do not take the trans-Canada highway - its too developed,
too fast, too straight.

Instead, take highway 3 from Hope,  through  Manning Park, Princeton,
Keremos,
Osoyoos, Grand Forks, Trail, Creston, Cranbrook. Go through Kootenay
National Park. Decide if you want to do the detour along Icefields Highway
to Jasper (well worth it if you have the time.) Take a smaller detour south
along
Highway 742 starting at Canmore, and back north along highways 40 and 68
to Calgary. Visit every hot springs along this route, this will make for
some
short detours, and some big surprises. Take highway 22 south
to Montana from Calgary, not Highway 2.

(I have travelled this region each year six consecutive years - somtimes
three times a year. Its worth it.)

- Parzival